Monday, April 18, 2011

Turn Your Bad Day Around

Being that today is a Monday, I would expect to have some small bumps and bruises throughout the day.  It is expected to have that kind of luck at the beginning of the week.  But my bumps turned out to be mountains and my bruises ended up being welts.  By the time I needed to leave work, I was ready to jump in the car and get out of there.  I don't think I've had a day this bad in a long while, so I guess I was long overdue.

It all started about an hour after I got to work.  The phones were a little slow so I was doing some reports.  I decided to take a drink of water from my water bottle when it slipped from my hand and I dropped it on my desk.  With the top off the bottle.  Of course water goes everywhere, and of course my cell phone had to be in the way of the mini flash flood.  I immediately grabbed my phone and dried it off, took it apart, took out the battery and let it sit for a little bit.  After a while I placed the battery back in and turned my phone on.  It starts right up, but I'm still holding my breath.  After about a minute it starts going back and forth from standby to active.  So I turn the phone off and turned it back on.  Now, my phone is stuck on the startup screen.  I can't even shut it down.  I read on some forum that if you keep the phone on it should reset itself.  So I did.  After about 20 minutes, it completely booted back up and looked like it was working right.  Only problem was after keeping it on for 20 minutes it drained the battery, and I didn't bring my USB charger with me to work.

Now aside from my phone issue, I was having a networking issue.  My calendar at work wasn't showing me the shared calendar.  This calendar is important because it sends me reminders about scheduled conference calls that I need to be aware of.  So I let our IT guy know and of course he tells me the obvious, "Reboot your computer".  So I did.  When it comes back on, my screen display comes up as landscape.  So I shake my head and change it back to portrait, trying hard not to tilt my head.  For those of you not familiar with those terms, landscape makes everything on your screen sideways and portrait makes everything on your screen normal.  I tell my IT guy about it and he says "That's weird" and nothing more about it.  My guess is that my computer either flipped out, or someone was messing with me.  I assume it's the latter because you have to physically change the setting on your computer display in order for that to happen.  And someone can easily do that if they have access to control your computer.  Which in most cases people working in IT have that access.

On top of everything else, it was an extremely busy day.  I was ready to go home by lunchtime, but I grit my teeth and got through it.  So what made my day better after that exhausting start?  Well, my phone is ok.  It stopped doing the flashing from standby to active.  I kept a positive attitude on the obstacles I had to get through today and didn't let any of it affect my work.  And finally, I was able to come home to my husband who always makes my day, no matter what kind I am having, a million times better.

So what should you, the reader, take from this?  Well, try as hard as you can to keep that positive attitude and don't let your day be taken out on an innocent bystander.  It's ok to vent (trust me I vented a bit today to my co-workers).  But don't be snippy or create an attitude to someone who doesn't know what's going on, especially if you're in customer service and have to deal with talking to customers.  I know it might be easier said than done, but it is possible.  Finally, think about the latter part of your day and what part of that day you are looking forward to.  Keeping that in mind will help you keep a somewhat upbeat attitude and should help you get through your own bumps and bruises a little less scarred.  If that doesn't work, well, just take a deep breath and hope that time travel will become available soon so that you can quickly get through what you deem to be a day of bad days.  Then maybe you can look back and laugh about it, or at least crack a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment