Friday, April 15, 2011

So You Think You're Safe?

These apartments look like they would be safe to live in, don't they?  It's a gated community that you either need to have an access code to gain entry or you need to have a remote that opens the gate.  The landscaping is kept up very nicely.  And every apartment has an alarm system.  It's overall a quiet complex.  You almost feel as though you can leave your door unlocked and not think twice about it.  Almost.

 About a couple months ago I noticed that the gate to the apartments was stuck open, allowing anyone on and off the property without needing to enter a code or use their remote.  I felt a little uneasy about that simply because this did allow anyone access to the property.  Plus, our rent is premium because of the fact that our community is supposed to be gated giving residents a sense of security.  My uneasy feeling started to dissipate until my husband texted me this afternoon.  The text read "Someone just broke down our door!"  The next one reading, "I'm talking with the police right now"

So now I'm feeling panicked.  I'm at work about 30 miles away and I can't do anything about what has just happened.  He tells me everything is ok and that he scared the perpetrators off.  But then I start thinking about what might have happened if they were armed and my mind starts going in circles.  And the one thought that kept coming to mind was, "What if they come back?"

Here, you can see the damage they did to the door when they kicked it in.  And if they do come back, they may realize that the door frame will be weaker because it's broken.  That is if they're that smart.  It's times like these that I'm grateful for the 2nd Amendment because, yes, we do own a handgun.  And, yes, it's when things like this happen.  A part of me took for granted the area we live in.  It really is a nice neighborhood and crime rate is pretty low.  But what happened today shook me back into reality and I was forced to realize that it doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood you live in.  Things like this can happen anywhere.

 So ask yourself when you're getting ready to go to bed tonight, how safe am I?  How will I protect myself if someone breaks into my home?  Am I really that safe?  Hopefully, you'll be able to answer those questions before what happened to my home happens to yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment