Sunday, September 18, 2011

Just Keep Writing

So apparently I have been away from my blog for a while that I now have to get used to blogspot's new interface.  Which is ok, it looks easier and cleaner to use.  Now, why haven't I blogged in a while?  Well, other than the fact that I'm constantly busy with work, school, and family I have decided to take up writing as a paying hobby.  For the last few months I have been writing for Yahoo!'s Associated Content.  And just recently, their affiliate OMG has targeted me as a featured writer.  What does this mean?  It means I get emails when they need someone to write an article for them about a celebrity, tv show, movie, or anything else having to do with Hollywood.  And these articles are paid upfront, which means I don't get paid based on just how many clicks my article gets.  They pay me a specific amount for each article if they publish it.  The amount depends on how detailed the article needs to be and who or what it's covering.  And once it's published on OMG, millions of people have a better chance of reading it since it will be a featured article.

I must say, I did always want to do something with my writing.  I knew I had a talent and I knew that it shouldn't go to waste.  I just didn't know how I could make use of it.  I don't think I have the patience to write a book, but who knows that might change too.  I've tried lyrical writing with an old school friend and we were pretty good together.  However, I just didn't have the time after I started working full time again and got married to keep it up.  But this is something I can make time for and get paid doing it.  It's not a whole lot of money, but with the submissions I have been making it will add up quick.

I can't remember which article it was that had attracted my interest, but I had seen that the writer of the article was a member of Yahoo! Contributor Newtork (YCN).  Their group of writers post articles on YCN's Associated Content.  In many cases, articles are display and performance only, which means the writer will only get paid for however many clicks they get on their article.  The content can range from creative writing, to favorite venues, to current events.  Some articles, and you have to be quick to claim them, are exclusive.  This means that Yahoo! will own the rights to the article that is written but they will pay you up front for them.  The first one I wrote that was exclusive, I was only paid $4.00.  It was about a local Olympic athlete that will be at the 2012 Summer Olympics and was featured on Yahoo! Sports.

Now, I'm getting most of my requests for OMG!, Yahoo!'s source for celebrity news and gossip.  The first article that was published on OMG! I was a little unsure about.  It was about actress January Jones, and unfortunately I didn't know too much about her.  After doing some research I saw that she recently had a baby and was not releasing the name of the father.  Now personally, I don't care who the father of her child is.  That is her business and if she doesn't want to reveal to the media who her father is then so be it.  But gossip about celebrities has the tendency to attract readers.  So I thought, why not?  I'll write a gossip article and see how well it goes over.

After it was published on OMG!, I took a look and much to my surprise I had comments from people who I didn't know but had read my story.  And it apparently struck a nerve with some of my readers.  I thought some of the responses were a little comical as well as flattering.  To think that my writing inspired people to write a comment, positive or negative, about what they thought of my story made me feel almost like a professional.

So, if any of you followers out there want to read my published writings, I'm posting the links at the end of this blog.  Let me know what you think as I welcome any comments, positive or negative.  Also, if there are any stories you would like to have written, tell me your ideas.  If there's something that you feel is newsworthy or at least worth reading, send me an email at marygrl2327@yahoo.com and let me know what it is you would like to see in print.  Til next time, just keep writing!

DFW Local Charity Supports Fallen Heroes
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8175653/support_the_dfw_fallen_heroes.html?cat=8

Relationship Advice
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8193955/6_ways_to_turn_your_relationship_from.html?cat=41

Miami's South Beach
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8261589/a_travelers_guide_to_miamis_south_beach.html?cat=16

JDRF Walk for the Cure
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8329107/rock_the_walk.html?cat=8

Local Indie Music Store
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8374085/a_locals_insight_on_a_great_music_store.html?cat=8

J.Lo Starts Dating
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8393095/jlos_new_beau.html?cat=41

Local Karaoke Bar Review
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/8389857/do_that_sing_thing.html?cat=8

DFW Olympian's Plans for 2012 Summer Olympics
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=ycn-8772711

How I Changed After 9/11
http://news.yahoo.com/more-charity-firefighters-police-9-11-180000814.html

January Jones Keeps Baby Daddy Under Wraps
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/january-jones-keeps-baby-daddy-under-wraps/72301

No comments:

Post a Comment